Psychological counseling can be described as a time travel that allows you to move between past, present and future.
- In the process we may revisit important periods in your past to find out what conclusions you may have drawn about yourself, about others and about life and to consider how these beliefs are reflected in the present. Sometimes, some of the beliefs we have accepted to be true at some stage may not be serving us well and counseling allows us to question them in a supportive environment.
- In this process, we may go back in the plot of your personal story line to discover the moments that led to key decisions that affect the quality of your life now.
- By going back, we can track who were the significant others whose role had impact on your development and to determine the effect of their influence in the present.
- By delving into the story that has shaped you, you will be able to better understand what perpetuates the difficulties you are facing and find new alternatives.
- By bringing up to the surface the thoughts and beliefs that run you, the habitual emotional and repeating behavior patterns, you will gain better understanding of yourself and you will develop attitudes and capabilities for better dealing with the demands of your daily life and better handling challenging times.
But predicaments don't always stem from the past.
When we are going through a period of transition and we are rearranging our lives to adapt to multiple changes, it is not unusual to experience a crisis. Separation and loss are some of the most complex examples of circumstances that put us to the test. But sometimes even multiple positive changes like moving to another place, starting a business or having a child can also overwhelm us and lead to feeling that our resources are overextended and we are unable to cope with the new reality.
At such times, we often need additional resources and skills to help us through.
In the counseling process, we join forces so that you can build self-knowledge, emotional coping skills, and an understanding of how to recognize and meet your needs by mobilizing your own resources and support network.
If you are wondering if psychological counseling is right for you, contact me for a free first consultation.